I was waiting a friend for lunch but probably got lost or hit by a car. So I ate it all alone.
Kuki's mom recipe!
For 2 people:
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 onions, very thinly sliced
- 3 potatoes, sliced (I used the Patasnella, already sliced and ready in the fridge)
- 400 grs calves liver, thinly sliced
- 1/2 glass Marsala or Porto wine
- Salt, pepper, persil, 1 lemon
Heat the olive oil with 1 tablespoons of the butter in a large, heavy saute pan over a medium flame. Add the onions
and cook them over low heat until they are very soft but not colored, for literally about 1 hour. After about 1/2 hour add the potatoes.
Salt it all and remove them to a warm platter. Add the liver to the pan, salting and cooking for max 1 min on each side. When done, place the onions and the potatoes in the pan with the liver, warm it up, add the wine, let it vaporize and scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to dislodge any browned bits.
Add the remaining tablespoon of butter and pour it over the liver and onions. Add pepper, persil, lemon juice, salt if necessary and serve immediately.
*The real recipe does not provide for the potatoes but my mom always did it so and I like it much more this way!